My Generation: Part I - A Generation of Heroes

My generation is enthralled by the concept of self-help. We exchange dollars and cents to make sense of our human condition. A condition characterized by helplessness. My generation is obsessed with the concept of living like a super star. To be a super hero. We fear being anonymous or ordinary.
We believe that in us resides a potential that will set us apart, marked as special. The self-help books we read tell us that we can be extra ordinary.

Eric Liddell, one of Scotland's most prolific athlete, once said, "I believe that God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. When I run, I feel His pleasure." He had the opportunity to win an Olympic gold medal, a race he chose to forfeit due to his religious convictions. Having won a medal in another race, he didn't make his life about his glory and fame, but instead moved back to China to serve as a minister.

It's true, ordinary people are capable of doing extra ordinary things. The heroes then, are those who go without mention in our news. They are busy putting aside their own agendas to cater to the needs of the community, society at large. My generation is slowly waking up to this ideology.