Ethics in Lingerie Modeling

An agency recently contacted me with information on the Sydney fashion week, in response to my interest in fashion writing. They were wondering if I would like to be involved with the Rosemount Australia Fashion Week. Since entry to the shows is restricted to those in the industry, I was excited to be involved. I filled out my availablity.

A few days ago, I received the schedule and my name was listed under, 'Dresser,' for a lingerie show. Backstage of a fashion show is chaotic and slightly scandalous. For a man to be dressing female models in risque underwear is scandalous. For a man studying at a Bible College...
you get my drift.

Since I was listed as a 'Dresser,' for the other two shows as well, I decided to talk about it with my friends and see what they had to say. Interestingly, the girls I spoke to were diplomatic about it. The guys asked me if I was strong enough to place myself in that situation without sexualizing the women in my mind. I was convinced that I was.

On the one hand, I was looking forward to being part of the fashion week. My convictions were stronger though. It wasn't an ideal situation by a far shot. My decision was made even before the conversations. I decided to decline. The relief outweighed the disappointment of missing out.

I logged into my email to send the message and realized that the roster had been updated. My name had been moved into the 'Usher,' column for three shows. No backstage shenanigans.
Someday, I'd like to be in the front row with a pen and pad, with a pass that reads, "GQ." Reporting on the relevance of fashion on society's perceptions of masculinity.